While several women want to increase the size of their breasts, there are also several women who want to reposition or decrease the size of their breasts.
Breast reduction surgery can effectively and immediately reduce breast size by removing excess breast tissue. A breast reduction involves removing excess fat, skin and glandular tissue to decrease breast size, getting rid of all of the negative issues associated with breasts that are larger than wanted.
A breast lift lifts the breasts to rejuvenate a woman’s figure and provide a breast profile that is youthful in appearance. The purpose of a breast lift is to firm and raise the breasts by getting rid of extra skin and tightening the neighbouring tissue to reshape and support the new breast shape. In some cases, the areola is enlarged and a breast lift can minimise this too.
Although different regarding approach and results, breast reduction and breast lift procedures share some advantages:
- Both methods are relatively routine and result in an instantly noticeable outcome.
- Most women who have a breast lift or reduction report gains in their self-confidence and high levels of satisfaction.
- Both procedures can help improve posture.
- Breastfeeding is possible after a breast lift and a breast reduction procedure.
- Scars resulting from either surgery can be placed in areas to reduce their visibility.
WHICH PROCEDURE IS RIGHT FOR ME?
The first thing you need to do is to determine if a breast reduction or breast lift procedure is right for you. Here are some questions that may help you decide if a breast reduction is right for you:
- Do you feel your breasts are too large for your body?
- Do they feel heavier than they should be?
- Do you often have neck, back or shoulder pain?
- Do you have problems with posture?
- Do you get a tingling sensation due to the weight of your breasts pulling down on your bra straps?
- When you wear a bra, do you have depressions or grooves along your shoulders?
- Are you unable to participate in certain physical activities because of your breast size?
- Do you have a hard time finding clothes that fit due to the size of your breasts?
The following questions may indicate breast positioning issues:
- Do your nipples point downward or sit below your breast crease?
- Are you unsatisfied with how the positioning of your breasts?
- Do you have skin laxity issues around your breasts?
- Do you regularly get irritation or rashes between or underneath your breasts?
BREAST LIFT + BREAST REDUCTION
Some women may experience issues with both breast size and positioning. These patients may benefit most from a treatment plant that combines a reduction and a lift.
IMPORTANT: CONSULTING A PLASTIC SURGEON
While doing self-research is always great, nothing is as valuable as having an in-person consultation with a qualified Board Certified Plastic Surgeon like Dr Magnusson. Because every woman is unique, consulting with a trained surgeon is the only way to determine which surgical procedure is right for your specific goals.